- An affidavit is required for work to be completed on an existing system, affecting five (5) or fewer devices/heads. Affidavits must meet the requirements listed on the Affidavit application.
- A modification permit is required for work to be completed on an existing system, as follows:
- Commercial Sprinkler: A modification is any work to be done on 6-10 heads, or that substantially changes an existing commercial sprinkler system, or affects/changes the design area.
- Residential Sprinkler: A modification is any work that substantially changes an existing sprinkler system or which exceeds the CAFMA Residential Sprinkler limit of 5 heads or affects/changes the design area.
- Fire Alarm: A modification is any work to be done on 6-10 devices, or that substantially changes an existing fire alarm system.
- Kitchen/Industrial System: A modification is any work that substantially changes an existing kitchen/industrial system or which increases the existing system’s number of flow points or volume limitations.
- A full construction permit is required for all new installations, and any work to be done on an existing system that affects eleven (11) or more devices.
- Residential Sprinkler system requirements and a list of area subdivisions that require sprinklers regardless of square footage can be found HERE.
- Per 2018 IFC 105.6, an operational permit is required for non-construction work activities and temporary buildings and events, including but not limited to: commercial burning, hot work, blasting and pyrotechnics, tent and membrane structures, carnivals, and other special events. See the list below for a complete catalog of operational permits.
Except as noted below, all construction and operational permit fees include the following:
- Original plan submission
- One (1) plan resubmission
- One (1) inspection
3 Inspections for a Commercial Fire Sprinkler System
2 Inspections for a Fire Alarm
3 Inspections for a Fire Main / FDC
3 Inspections for a Residential Fire Sprinkler System
Permit Application Submissions
All construction and operational permit applications are accepted at the CAFMA Administrative Office, Monday – Thursday from 7:00 am – 4:00 pm. Please allow up to 30 minutes for submission process.
- Construction permit applications shall follow the requirements as set forth in the Central Arizona Fire and Medical Authority (CAFMA) Construction Guidelines for Contractors and Architects.
- Construction permits are valid for 180 days from the date of permit approval.
- Per 2018 IFC 105.3.2: One or more extensions may be granted by the fire code official, following a written request from the permitted contractor which demonstrates justifiable cause. Use the Permit Extension link above to request an extension before the permit expires.
- Per 2018 IFC 105.3.1: Once a permit has expired, a fee will apply to reinstate it. Use the Expired Permit Replacement link above to replace an expired permit.
- Operational permit applications must be filled out completely, including any required documents as listed on the permit application. Incomplete permit applications will not be accepted.
- Operational permit applications shall be submitted at least 14-days prior to the event or operational activity. Applications not submitted in the proper timeframe will be subject to the Expedited Plan Review fee.
- Per 2018 IFC 105.3.1: Operational permits remain in effect for the duration listed on the permit, or until reissued, renewed, or revoked.
All construction and operational inspections are scheduled through the CAFMA Administrative Office, Monday – Thursday from 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- All inspections shall be scheduled at least 24-hours in advance of the inspection.
- Any inspection cancelled less than 4-hours prior to the scheduled inspection will constitute a failed inspection. This may result in additional fees.
- Inspections that require a permittee in attendance, and fail to have a permittee in attendance, shall constitute a failed inspection. This may result in additional fees.
Construction Permit Application List
- Affidavit – Fire Alarm System
- Affidavit – Fire Sprinkler System
- Access Gate
- Alternative System
- CO2 Beverage System
- Commercial Fire Sprinkler
- Fire Alarm System
- Fire Main – FDC Underground
- Fire Protection System Demolition
- Fire Pump
- Fuel Tank
- Gas Detection System
- Kitchen-Industrial System
- Residential 13D Fire Sprinkler
- Water Tank
- Other Construction